|REAL PEOPLE IN REAL PLACES |
Follow me on Instagram, it's my most favorite hangout these days: I'm @galezucker on IG
• Prepping for a Clarkson Potter book shoot in the beginning of July, plenty of dates free after July 10. Give me a shout.
• Here's a virtual lookbook of some knitwear photoshoots
•In May, I won 1st Place Award in the Ct Art Directors Club Art Volley with designer Cheri Targonsky .
• A recent shoot for the Boy Scouts of America had me in the northwestern CT woods with 250 scouts and 10 professional magicians. My life is never boring!
• Summer is a great time to get a leap on your next annual report, for updating website imagery and for executive portraits when everyone is feeling healthy and relaxed--and snow won't cause travel problems. Call me for bookings!
• I'll be shooting another book for Clarkson Potter, which I am co-authoring with two wonderful knitwear designers. More details later.
• knitwear designers & yarn companies: it may not be sweater weather but it is the perfect season to shoot fresh imagery for marketing your designs!
Just completed: a series of childrens knitwear images for Versaci Knits.Last month, a book of shawls for Through the Loops, Kirsten Kapur Designs
Call me to set up your next shoot!
How did it get to be the last few months of 2013 already?!
I returned to the NY Sheep & Wool Festival in October, where I've been working on a personal project : portraits of festival goers, in their many layers of handknit clothing. This year, instead of photographing, I was a teacher for the festival. (photography, of course!) And instead of releasing a book of the portraits -still in progress- I put together a video, watch it here.
Coming up Saturday May 4th, 11 am, I am guest speaker at the Fairfield Woods Library, DIY Craft Salon. I'm presenting a slide talk about Craft Activism. It's fun stuff: a behind-the-scenes story of how Joan Tapper and I found our subjects to photograph and interview for the book, and what these innovative makers contribute, and all about the power of handmade. Curious? Register here
• • • • • • • •
The lack of springtime (and continuing snow) has made outdoor location photography a little chillier than I might wish for--but that hasn't kept me down too much. Most recently, a wonderful shoot for Green Mountain Spinnery, of knitwear fashions from their yarns. Up on the website soon, a sneak peek , on the right.
I've just returned from my talk as an author/photographer guest at the Arkansas Literary Festival. What an honor! First trip ever t Little Rock. Activities included touring, shooting and a bit of crafting/yarnbombing and teaching, too.
Suddenly it's time to hit the road. Here's where I'll be if I can shoot anyone/thing for you:
• central Vermont Feb 23-24
• LA & Santa Barbara California March 16-22
• In Minnesota Nov 16-21st, prepping & shooting a book project. Call me if I can add on anything for you while I'm there, or if you'd like ot have me stop by with my book.
• CRAFT ACTIVISM made Amazon's Best Books of 2011 list !
• what's a newly published book without its very own new blog? Visit www.CraftActivism.com and say hi.
• and likewise, what's a newly published book without some booksigning events? Go to the blog to see listed events on the sidebar. I am especially honored & excited about speaking at the American Folk Art Museum in NYC on Oct 27th.
• more travel plans- shooting in Minnesota Nov 15-20th-can I add on something for you?
• Traveling for photo shoots & teaching, can I piggyback an assignment or project for you? or pop by with my portfolio ?
late August- Vermont (Montpelier & Hardwick regions)
early September - Maine (coastal, Searsport)
mid September- Minnesota, Boston, Cape Cod
mid October- DC/Baltimore
early November- West Coast, babeeeee! California, shooting and doing a little book tour with Craft Activism co-author Joan Tapper.
mid November - Minnesota
Of course in between I'll be right here at home base in Connecticut. Give me a shout.
• my iPad and I couldn't be happier together, I am joyfully showing my work on it. Can I come by and update you ? I'll bring cookies.....
• (I'm) Talking Heads I guest blogged about making fresh headshots for businesses and entrepeneurs. Read all about it here, I share my tips for getting the most out of a shoot.
• lots of new work in my Dripbook portfolios, go take a look
• also, lots of travel, for photo shoots on Cape Cod and in Vermont . I'll be back in Vermont the first few days of August and again mid-month. If you need anything shot there, let me know, I'll gladly add on.
• I'm in Chicago at the end of the month, accepting piggyback assignments & shooting. Need a Windy City photo shoot? I'm there.
• I've been shooting assignments for several magazines this month, including USA Weekend, First and the Paris-based La Recherche. Loving the diversity, the range of subjects and the clients!
• A project winds down, as the fully juiced image files for my new book , Craft Activism, from PotterCraft TBP Sept 2011, co-authored with writer Joan Tapper, are delivered.
* Making plans for shooting in Florida in March. Need somehing shot? Consider me a local there. Got a story idea? Give me a shout.
Kicking off the new year with something a little different: I'm a presenter at IGNITE:Craft in Boston January 14th. My topic: In Pursuit of Craft Activists: Making a Book About Makers. It's a sneak preview, the book is in production, the 12,000 images I shot are edited and 200-ish are in final processing. There's one on the right, in Seattle.
Work on my new book project for Random House is heating up along with the weather,traveling to Austin TX, LA and Seattle.
• Yep, that's me on CNN.com . It says my job is stressful- but not because of clients. I LOVE my clients. And my work.
I'm sure there was a September, but it disappeared along with the swimming weather.
• Photo shoots for Yale University & Quinnipiac University kept me close to home for a change, but the outlook for traveling far and wide is good with a new book project almost finalized. More, soon!
• Meanwhile, look through my Real People and Here,There portfolios, I've been updating. Now, to choose a new opener photo....
• Florida ! Again ! Need someone/something photographed in south Florida ? Consider me a local, looking to fill in / piggyback on a Miami shoot week of August 17th.
• The Photography for Knitters/ Knit Bloggers workshop I taught in Minnesota at the end of July was a success. Here's one student's report. I'm repeating it in September in Massachusetts. Pass the word.
• I'm a finalist in Microsoft's Dream Assignment grant competition, for my proposal to photograph Heifer Internaltional projects around the world. Hopin, waiting, fingers crossed!
• On the right, a shoot for the US Dept of Education at Stoughton High School in Massachusetts last month for a comprehensive website project.
The classroom was all recent immigrant teens, the hallway reminded me of that classic dream, when you need to take one last test to graduate...but, oh no! you forgot to ever go to class!
• Published April 2008, my book!
Travel, lifestyle, crafts,and what it's like to live on
sheep & alpaca farms across the United States.
Shear Spirit from Random House/Clarkson Potter.
* Stock represented by AURORA PHOTOS
* The Photo District News profiled me as a Lighting Master. read it all about me & lighting here
• Check out this collaborative pro bono photographers' project Do1Thing.
• And if you're so inclined, click over to my knitting blog
She Shoots Sheep Shots